Your Support can go a long way in helping us rebuild lives
Actor Dev Patel visits Chingari Trust
We have regular cultural programmes
Childhood is never complete without sports !
Movie on Chingari Rehabilitation Centre By Nicolas Ferras and Tabish- English
Amedical camp was organised to identify and register children at chingari Rehabilitation Centre
Chingari Trust organized an awareness camp to generate...
The annual function of Chingari Trust was a ravishing success...
Created by the 2004 Goldman Environmental Award winners Rashida Bee and Champa Devi Shukla, the Chingari Trust is a non-political, non-profit organization committed to protecting the survivors of the 1984 Union Carbide Gas Disaster in Bhopal and the local communities that are affected by the continuous industrial hazards present as a result of the abandoned Union Carbide factory (now wholly owned by Dow Chemical Corporation).
More specifically, the Chingari Trust supports marginalized sections of society, including women and children (with special reference to victims of corporate crime) without discrimination on the basis of caste, creed or religion.
The Chingari Trust has five main functions:
- To provide medical treatment and rehabilitation to the children of gas victims born with birth defects, disabilities or life threatening conditions due to the ongoing pollution and contamination of their environment.
- To extend economic and other forms of livelihood support programs to gas-affected women and their families.
- To promote the Chingari Award, given annually to a female activist who is working towards an ecological balance, by fighting against corporatism and pollution-producing units that may become a threat to life in the near future. The Award also recognizes women who are fighting for justice in favor of the victims of environmental disasters.
- To take up any activities or initiatives that help to protect, support, and ensure the rights of victims of the Gas Disaster, particularly women and children.
- To network with individuals and institutions, both locally and globally, as well as governmental and non-governmental organizations with the intention of furthering the overall goals and objectives of the trust.